Monday, September 21, 2009

Yahoo for Shores Block 2

Yep, I finished Shores Block 2 on Saturday morning. I got up, made some tea, and sat on my ass watching a movie until I finished it. Boy, that felt good! I'll start Block 3 in October.

Later that day, the man I hang around with asked me to go on a little ride in the mountains on the Harley. We looked at the pretty aspen trees turning pink and gold, and then all of a sudden, there was a bear (squeal)! I know! It was so exciting. The man I hang around with was a bear-sighting virgin before I spotted that cub, but this was my second bear in the wild. We made a U-turn to get another look, but he saw us seeing him and ran off to find his mama. There would be absolutely no good reason for us to meet up with his mama, who would not approve of her cub being anywhere near us, so we watched him run up the hill and went on our way. Now for the question you're probably thinking. Doris, where's the picture? Good question. Neither of us had a camera, and I didn't take my cell phone! We're dopes, but we've learned our lesson. No more rides without something for picture-taking!


Now for my TUSAL pic for this month. I really thought I'd be on time, but I came home on Friday and had a drink (ok, two drinks) and sat down to stitch instead of doing a post. And then I had to stitch Saturday morning. Don't I sound like the kids at school? This picture of my jar was taken on the actual day it should've been pictured. I pushed down the stuff so I can fit some more in there soon.


On Sunday I watched the Broncos and worked on Reed's Stocking for the son-in-law (that's still a shock to say), but it looks like so little that I'll wait to show you a pic. It's such a change to be stitching with perle cotton after all of these months of 40-count. The whole time I was working on it, I thought about how chunky it feels. So thick in my hands. I kinda like it ... for a while. My big hope is that I'll have the stocking finished by the time I'm ready to start up on Shores again. I know, I know, but I can dream, can't I?


On Monday (yes, that's today) I wished I was at home stitching on this cool and rainy day. Instead, I was at work (repeat after me: it's good to be employed). And while I'd love to slap a couple of adults upside the head, the kids are wonderful. My new kindergarten buddy, Joseph, calls me Miss Brownie (tee hee). I know! Isn't that so cute? He says it quite loudly when I see him in the cafeteria. The other kids keep correcting him, but he likes that name. I told him it's ok. I love brownies.


Thank you, thank you, all of you positive and sweet commentors out there. Your happy wishes for Nikki and Grady and their babe are very much appreciated. I know I've been a real smartass about it (someone has to do it), but I do hope they'll have the best life ever. In fact, just the thought of it working out any other way is unthinkable.


Hey, I have stitching to do! Make some fun.

17 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Way to go on Shores, Doris! The block looks great. I'll be anxious to see your stocking and I know your SIL is really going to appreciate it. I'm glad school is going well and that you and the "Mrs. Brownie" kid are having a good time - that's what it's all about!

Anonymous said...

Hey Grandma (well, soon), I has missed the previous post, so I didn't know about the great news ! What a change in your life... I love the way you tell your everyday life. More, more, more !

Siobhán said...

Woohoo! Shores looks great, Doris! We saw a bear when we were in Colorado for my brother's wedding. We went to Estes Park for a few days afterwards & were in the Rocky Mtn National Park. OMG, incredible place. It was amazing to see the bear, along with the other wildlife there. In Delaware, the most you get are squirrels. LOL Here, cows, sheep & horses. Not nearly as cool as bears, I don't think. Have a great week!

Jennifer said...

Miss Brownie you crack me up ! Love the Shores. Can't believe that me with 1000plus charts had never seen that beautiful pattern till I entered the blog world! Looking forward to seeing the stocking . I should do an SAL with you for Elisabeth's stocking at the same time but need to finish an exchange and get back to "Lo" Loved the bear story too! Love reading what you write!

Margaret said...

Congrats on the Shores block finish! That's way cool about the bear! I think you were smart not to hang around for the mama bear. :D Can't wait to see your stocking! I have some of those to make as well, but I can't face the huge (or low) count and perle cotton. Never worked with them before!

mainely stitching said...

Hey Miss Brownie! :D Love your SOHRH block. Can't wait to see the stocking. I'm with you on slapping some 'adults' upside the head, but I'm afraid they might hit back. LOL!

Ranae said...

Block three looks great. Seems like when there is something good to snap, we never have a camera around. I have been begging DH for a bike, maybe next year(squeal)

Ranae said...

I meant block 2, I am just trying to hurry you, lol

Deb said...

Your block looks wonderful Doris. Wasn't that one a lot of fun. I really like the next one - it's so pretty when you're working on it so you should have a lot of fun with that.

And how cute are those kids, especially the one who calls you Miss Brownie. And I hear you about wanting to knock some of those adults over the heads. You wonder where they get their sense sometimes!

Hope you get a lot of stitching done!!

Anna van Schurman said...

You could get the stocking done in three weeks definitely, possibly one and a half. I do think you should turn to Shores on time. I'm stitching it vicariously through you.

Did I ever tell you about the dude's bear-anoia when we were in Alaska?

Ellen said...

Your Shores look great! This will go on my wishlist. School seems to be going well, Miss Brownie, enjoy.

Hugs,

staci said...

Congrats on finishing Block 2, looks fantastic!

So I know you can appreciate this tidbit...as we get out of the truck to watch Oldest's softball game, we tell the boys to watch out for rattlesnakes, mountain lions and bears. Oh, and there are signs by the field too :)

Karen said...

Doris, your block is gorgeous -- way to go!

I was driving across northern Maryland a couple of years ago and when I crossed the state line from West Virgina, I noticed that there were signs alerting me to watch out for deer and bears. It did not induce calm!

Cindy said...

Congrats on a stitching milestone :)

Maggie said...

Shores is looking good Doris!

I got all excited, i thought i was going to get to see a REAL bear!, lol,

Have a great weekend

Kellie said...

Congrats on Block 2 of Shores! You described a perfect Saturday morning. :) Love the Mrs. Brownie story. I have a first grader who calls me Mrs. Sandwich. He's so cute that I have quit trying to correct him. :) The bear sighting sounds like a lot of fun. We have been fortunate to sometimes spot black bears when we visit the Smokies.
Can't wait to see your stocking progress. :)
Have a great weekend!

Brigitte said...

Congratulations on finishing another block of Shores. I'll pull out Houses and stitch my next block on it in October. Seeing all these finished blocks of Shores on various blogs is very motivating.
Oh my, a bear. IU'd really love to see one and take his picture (from a certain distance of course, lol). I've been to bear country several times but I've never seen one. So I think I have to visit one of the NPs again.
Looking forward to seeing your new stocking.